Excerpt from Betty Friedan Piece...
"The Problem That Has No Name"
" A twenty-three-year-old mother in blue jeans said: 'I ask myself why I'm so dissatisfied. I've got my health, fine children, a lovely new home, enough money.
My husband has a real future as an electronics engineer. He doesn't have any of these feelings. He says maybe I need a vacation, let's go to New York for a weekend. But that isn't it.
I always had this idea we should do everything together. I can't sit down and read a book alone. If the children are napping and i have one hour to myself I just walk through the house waiting for them to wake up.
I don't make a move until I know where the rest of the crowd is going. It's as if ever since you were a little girl, there's always been somebody or something that will take care of your life: your parents, or college, or falling in love, or having a child, or moving to a new house.
Then you wake up one morning and there's nothing to look forward to.' "


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home